Sunday, December 30, 2012

Guest Blog for Caregivers by Rob Harris

YOU ARE A NEW CAREGIVER 

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

The realization that you are now a caregiver could have manifested itself over an extended period of time, as your loved one's health began to slowly decline, or instantaneously, with the pronouncement that all is not well. Thus, you may have had time to prepare yourself for your role, or you may have been shocked into realizing your world has just been rocked, and you have not had the time to determine what that means to you, your loved one, your immediate family, your close friends, and your distant relatives.

If you are unfamiliar with what being a caregiver entails, you might experience fear, confusion, frustration, and a myriad of other feelings that need immediate resolution.  

Next, the role of caregiver stares you squarely in the face. Personally, I had no idea what that meant and, unfortunately, I learned the hard way – I was self-taught.

With knowledge comes understanding. With understanding comes a sense or order and a reduced feeling of chaos. For me, obtaining the information I needed to know had a bit of a calming effect.

My suggested Caregiver Learning Curve Phases are as follows:

·         Phase 1: Self-Assessment: What do I know? What do I need to know about – and quickly?
·         Phase 2: Knowledge is Power: Time to do some homework/research.
·         Phase 3: Create a Plan: Organize yourself and your activities. Begin to record pertinent data.
·         Phase 4: Work Your Plan: Create, modify, and refine your plan.
·         Phase 5: Expand Your Knowledge Base: Continue to study everything possible about the medical malady your patient is facing.
·         Phase 6: Flexibility is a Must: As the patient’s medical conditions change, the caregiver must adjust their caregiving methods to mirror the changes.
·         Phase 7: Self-Analysis: What have I gained from my experience? How will this affect me immediately, in the short term, and for the rest of my life?

Throughout each of these phases, there are a few constants, things to do and consider along the way:

·         Ask Questions: Ask your loved one about their feelings, beliefs, desires and, though unpleasant, what they would like to occur if the outcome is not positive. Consider medical, personal, financial and all other categories that might come into play at a later date. Determine who to ask and what questions you have.
·         Be Prepared: Be proactive. Determine the questions and answers before you need to act. Research your various options. Create an action plan in the event you need to take action. Do you need to consult with an attorney, a home health-care provider, a member of the clergy, a funeral home or cemetery? These are but a few of the categories that need to be addressed in advance of a possible occurrence. Though the hope is you never will need to act upon the information obtained, it is important to have them handy, just in case.
·         Keep Records: Write down everything that happens, when it happens. Chart all medical information and doctor-nurse-patient activities. Keep a journal of your thoughts and emotions throughout. It may help you to brainstorm with yourself and record your feelings for later use. Your memory may be compromised due to stress and exhaustion. Writing everything down is essential for you and your care recipient. It was one of the more meaningful activities I undertook and it helped me immensely throughout our ordeal.
·         Experimentation May Improve the Process. Never get too comfortable with your routine. If there are things that bother you, consider viable alternatives. Are you allowing for enough “me time?” Can you improve upon your methods? Trying different activities and strategies might make your caregiving job more bearable and manageable – and might diffuse possible tension between the loved one and caregiver.
·         Obtain Resources: Find others who will volunteer to assist in the care of the person you’re helping, or who might be willing to take over a few of your less desirable duties. Seek friends, relatives, professional agencies, volunteer groups, etc. Create a list of support you need and who can provide it.
·         Self-Assessment: Continually evaluate your own feelings and emotional standing. Are you becoming depressed? Are you taking care of yourself along with the patient? Is life still enjoyable? Are you resentful? If you are unable to respond positively, perhaps it’s time to consult with a family physician, a member of the clergy or a health-care professional.
·         Do Not Go It Alone: It’s okay to have fun, to laugh and to enjoy yourself. If you are unable to do so, it may be time to see professional assistance.

Being a caregiver is not easy. The learning curve is steep and always changing. In order to succeed at offering your loved one the best care possible, one needs to embrace the stages of learning, and never stop adjusting, for each day, each hour and each minute may be different from the last.

Once you master your role and responsibilities, it could be a treasured and invaluable time for you and your loved one. The relationship will surely change. In many cases, as it was for my wife and me, it changed for the better.



Rob Harris 


3 comments:

  1. I am 29 years old and I was diagnosis of Breast cancer, easy well and have a similar story except my first acceptance as a Herbal medicine denials. I wasn’t into the movement Perseid and didn’t establish connections with any of them really, just had faith in believing how they work. I say this because it was during using Dr Itua herbal medicine i now then testify herbal medicine is real, Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my breast cancer I was suffering from for 2 years. Dr Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs which has no side effect and is easy to drink as well. Contact Dr Itua herbal Center if you are suffering from the same Breast Cancer or any kind of human Diseases including....HIV/AIDS, HERPES COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER, UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA, VIRUS, HEPATITIS, WOMEN/MEN INFERTILITY, LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL. HIS CONTACT EMAIL/WHATSAPP: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m giving a testimony about Dr. KOKOBI the great Herbalist, he has the
    cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my  breast cancer, though I
    went through different website I saw different testimonies about
    different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people have
    the breast cancer remedy, So why are people still suffering from it?’ I thought of
    it, then I decided to contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com , I didn’t believe him that
    much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed
    some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it
    (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery,
    he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I
    will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him
    and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was
    tested breast cancer negative, if you are breast cancer patient or any cancer patient at all. Do me
    a favour for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make
    sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that
    I referenced you.. contact him via: kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com You can also message him on whatsapp +254746618873 and for more info message me @ pamela.drews77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..... 'WHAT A RIDE!'"