Thursday, December 1, 2011

One Week till Surgery

So the timehas come... surgery is just a little over a week away. While this is my 5th surgery it is going to be very different from the others. Up until now, each one has been an "emergency", but this one I actually scheduled and I have had time to prepare for it. I've located all of my girly DVDs, acquired new books to pass the time, and printed out some articles to read for school. Still working on laundry and organizing my clothes and such. Also doing a meal plan for post-surgery so that I don't run straight to junky fast food or other bad "treats". One positive of having operations (and trust me, it is vital to look for positives) is that each one brings a new wave of weight loss, and since I have been trying so hard lately to lose weight and to little avail, I don't plan to gain it all back post-surgery by shoving cheeseburgers down my throat. At least I say that now...

I've had people ask me if I'm scared. That's a hard question to answer. I guess I'm supposed to be scared... that would be normal. But oddly I don't really feel scared. A little nervous. And maybe dreading it a little simply for the pain factor and having to spend my Christmas break in bed basically. But I'm not scared of what might happen or what they might find. If something is there, then I hope they do find it. It is what it is. That is all I can say. We can't spend our lives in fear or constantly worrying. And I have enough normal things in my life to worry about (i.e. finances, school, job, etc). I don't need any more than normal.

I'm ready for it to come and go. I think the waiting is the worst part. I hate that I've had to wait so long to do it... well partly had to, partly avoiding it. I've been trying to wait it out for 2 years, hoping I wouldn't have to have it removed (it being whatever it is on my ovary). Then, in September when I found out I had to do it, I then had to wait for the school semester to be out, making December 12 the first day I was able to schedule it. So that is D-day. Appreciate any and all prayers. I know God will take care of me :)

So here is my reading list (not that I will read ALL of them... these are just my choices)... if you have any books or movies to suggest, send the comments my way! It would be super helpful!

1. Professor and the Madman by: Simon Winchester
2. Crazy River by: Richard Grant
3. Sailing Alone Around the World by: Joshua Slocum
4. The Charlemagne Pursuit by: Steve Berry
5. Around Ireland with a Fridge by: Tony Hawks
6. The Professor by: Charlotte Bronte
7. The Emperor of All Maladies by: Siddhartha Mukherjee (appropriate huh? lol)
8. Around the World in Eighty Days by: Jules Verne
9. Getting Stoned with Savages by: J. Maarten Troost
10. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by: Barbara Kingsolver

2 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend the emperor of all maladies! It is such an interesting book about the history of cancer and some really wonderful and inspiring stories that flow really beautifully into the history. It is also a long read…so it will keep you entertained for awhile. The President and CEO of my organization, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, just gave me this book and I definitely would recommend it just as highly as he did. Wishing you a safe surgery and a speedy recovery. –Molly your friend from Cancer Treatment Centers of America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Molly! Yea, I bought Emperor of All Maladies and I am so excited to read it! I have read so many wonderful reviews on it. And I am so intrigued by the history of diseases so I can't imagine not loving it. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..... 'WHAT A RIDE!'"