Wednesday, December 28, 2011

5 New Scars Later...

Well it has been a little over two weeks since my surgery and I'm beginning to become more and more mobile each day. While definitely not my first surgery, it was my first robotic procedure. The healing has definitely been different from my open surgeries. My abdomen is much more swollen this time around, which surprised me. Maybe from being pumped full of all that air? Not really sure. My scarring is definitely better though... just 5 small incisions. I joke with David that they look like shark teeth :)

Had some set backs/ complications after surgery. The procedure was on a Monday and I ended up going home on Thursday, though apparently most people would have gone home on Tuesday (I'm special). But I was actually throwing up on Tuesday. The nausea was the one big difference of this surgery vs my other ones. When I did go home I was incredibly nauseous and as soon as I got to my house the vomiting started all over again. But this time it didn't stop. Close to once an hour for the next 24 hrs I was visiting the bathroom. And I hadn't eaten anything since Sunday night. Come Saturday morning it was so bad that I ended up returning to the hospital. The IV fluids helped tremendously and eventually we figured out that this was all being caused by my nausea medicine (ironic huh?). They had put me on Reglan to help my nausea and apparently that medicine tends to cause intestinal paralysis (NOT something I need to be taking since I already have so many intestinal issues). So basically my digestive system stopped working, causing everything to come back up. I'll spare you further details.

So I stayed in the hospital until Tuesday morning. Once home I threw up one more time but then I was able to start eating some. I have been progressing ever since and each day is better and better. I go to the doctor in the morning for a check up and to get the pathology report. We are pretty confident that the mass was benign... the doctor believes it's just Endometriosis (not a great diagnosis, but better than cancer). He moved my ovaries away from my anastamosis site so that nothing on them will effect my remaining colon in the future (this time whatever it was, was wrapped around my intestines). But overall the surgery went well... glad it's over though :)

We had a great Christmas! We bought a house, David got a job after a VERY long time of looking, and we were able to spend lots of time with family. I should also mention what an awesome husband David was while I was sick... never did I ever think that a man would take such good care of me to the point that I could tell my mom I was comfortable with her not staying at the hospital. He waited on me hand and foot, wiped my face as I threw up, and constantly told me I looked beautiful even though I hadn't showered in days and looked like a hot mess. I couldn't ask for a better man. So blessed to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..... 'WHAT A RIDE!'"