Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Flashbacks and Prayers

One of my friends is having surgery tomorrow due to a cancer reccurrence. She found two lumps in her breast while on chemotherapy so they made the decision to perform a mastectomy. She is only in her early twenties. It's those stories, those moments, that make me ask why? Why do these things happen? And to great people? I feel for her... in a deep way that I can't even explain. I both fortunately and unfortunately have the gift of empathy... I almost feel like it is happening to me, like I'm there. But at the same time I know that I have no idea what she is going through.

So tonight I have been really pensive, just thinking about how she's doing and how she must be feeling. I have moments of flashback, remembering the days before my surgery and how intense they were and how lost I felt. I hope she doesn't feel that way. Mine happened all so fast, just like hers, and I remember feeling like I was in a whirlwind, in a dream. Nothing felt real... it took months for reality to actually set in. She is going to have a hard road ahead and I hate it for her. I wish I could take it all away. Is that weird to think? It sounds almost mothering but I don't mean it that way. Just as a friend I don't want her to have to go through that. And I know how it feels to have cancer make you lose something, make you feel like you lost your womanhood, and I would hate it if she felt that way... it sucks. She's gorgeous and doesn't deserve to go through that. But she will be just as gorgeous after her surgery... and her spirit I know will change people. I know she has inspired me.

So today, offer up prayers for Sarah. I pray that her surgery is successful and she has no further reccurence. Also that her recovery is quick and as painless as possible. I also pray that her spirit stays strong and she finds peace in her Lord as she pushes through the hard moments she might encounter once she wakes up. I pray that she feels empowered and not defeated. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..... 'WHAT A RIDE!'"